Thursday, February 21, 2013

Book Review: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (no spoilers)

Book: The Fault in Our Stars
Author: John Green
Series: Standalone
Publication: January 10th, 2012
Source: Local Library
Rating: 5/5 stars












Summary (from Goodreads)
Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumors in her lungs... for now. 

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumors tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault. 

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.


My Thoughts
The Fault in Our Stars deserves every kind word that is said about this book. This book puts together Tragedy and Humor in a unique way.  I fell in love with Hazel and Augustus relationship. They both knew that they would never get to spend a lifetime together, but they wanted to live their best life today. The thing about cancer is you never know which day will be your last and I think John Green did a great job conveying that through the book. Augustus and Hazel both had an intense love for books. I love to talk about books so I related to them in that way. Hazel introduces Augustus to a particular book, An Imperial Infliction and it is the book that this novel mostly centers around. I had heard that this ending was sad, but I have to admit it still wasn't the ending I suspected. I have heard many of people say they cried, but I didn't because I have a hard time crying over a book. It was still very sad. John Green created an amazing novel that was insightful, clever, and tragic. I was moved from sadness back to laughing within minutes. It takes a truly amazing author to make you feel everything this book did. I would have read this book for the beautiful writing alone. 

Memorable Quotes
“You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world...but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices.” 
“My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations.” 


Thanks for reading


Rachael 

5 comments:

  1. I've heard so many good things about this book, but I just haven't gotten to it yet. I think a part of me is afraid I'll compare it to Jenny Downham's Before I Die which also has a dying teenage girl as the main character and which I absolutely loved. I'm sure I will get to it since it's so highly praised, I'm just hesitant. I'll add this review as one more nudging me to finally read it already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please just do yourself a favor and read it. I defiantly enjoyed it and stayed up late to finish it.

      Delete
    2. When I keep not wanting to turn the light out and saying "just one more chapter" to myself -- I know I've got a great book! So that's a high compliment -- will definitely bump this one higher on my to-read list :)

      Delete
  2. Great review! I really enjoyed the book

    ReplyDelete

Hi my name is Rachael and I want to thank you for commenting on my blog. I appreciate every single comment I receive and I reply back to all comments.