Monday, February 11, 2013

Book Review: Nights in Rodanthe by Nicholas Sparks (no spoilers)


Book: Nights in Rodanthe
Author: Nicholas Sparks
Publication: June 2003
Source: Borrowed from a friend
Rating 5/5 stars


My friend bought the movie cover as you can see in the picture above, but as with all books I prefer the original cover. I love book to movie transitions, but I believe the original artwork always captures the essence of the book better than the movie covers could ever do.


Summary (from goodreads):
 At forty-five, Adrienne Willis must rethink her entire life when her husband abandons her for a younger woman. Reeling with heartache and in search of a respite, she flees to the small coastal town of Rodanthe, North Carolina to tend to a friend's inn for the weekend. But when a major storm starts moving in, it appears that Adrienne's perfect getaway will be ruined -- until a guest named Paul Flanner arrives. At fifty-four, Paul has just sold his medical practice and come to Rodanthe to escape his own shattered past. Now, with the storm closing in, two wounded people will turn to each other for comfort -- and in one weekend set in motion feelings that will resonate throughout the rest of their lives.


My Thoughts:
I did something strange with this book and never read the summary as I don't with most books by authors I love. When I truly fall in love with an author I know I'm going to like all their books and I don't need to know what they are about. It has been a long time since a book has made me feel like this book did. This book moved me in ways that I can't explain. The book begins by introducing Adrienne and gives a overview of her life. Then it jumps to here present where her daughter is going through a difficult time. She sits down with her daughter to tell her the story of Paul Flanner. Then the book jumps back into Adrienne's past of the stormy weekend she spent with Paul Flanner. I got a sense of peace I can't explain when Adrienne was talking about Paul. I think I enjoyed those parts the most. This book teaches you that it is never too late in life to find love and that there is always a second chance to correct mistakes you have made. The ending of this novel left me shaken. When you truly love a person as Paul and Adrienne did you have to make sacrifices for the one you love. They were the true meaning of that. This book is very short, but in the short span of pages Nicholas Sparks created an absouletly fantastic novel. I can't wait to watch the movie and see if it did this amazing book justice. 


Memorable Quotes 
"Entire years had slipped form her memory, washed away like sandy footprints near the water's edge" (Adrienne) pg 221 in my copy


Thanks for reading


Rachael

2 comments:

  1. I'm planning to read this book too. Hopefully I can finish my 'first stage' so I can move to the higher level.
    My friend recommended this book and she said it's one of the best Sparks' novels.

    I agree with you. I prefer the original cover than the movie version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting. My favorite non movie book of Nicholas Spark's is The Rescue and My favorite book that has a movie is Safe Haven. I loved the movie for Nights in Rodanthe as well.

      Delete

Hi my name is Rachael and I want to thank you for commenting on my blog. I appreciate every single comment I receive and I reply back to all comments.