Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Book Review: This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen (no spoilers)

Book: This Lullaby
Author: Sarah Dessen
Publication: May 27, 2002
Source: Local Library
Rating: 5/5 stars
Summary (from Goodreads)
When it comes to relationships, Remy doesn't mess around. After all, she's learned all there is to know from her mother, who's currently working on husband number five. But there's something about Dexter that seems to defy all of Remy's rules. He certainly doesn't seem like Mr. Right. For some reason, however, Remy just can't seem to shake him. Could it be that Remy's starting to understand what those love songs are all about?



My Thoughts:

I will disappoint you. That is how Remy Starr has lived her whole life, disappointed. It all started with her father. The guy who wasn't around, but wrote This Lullaby that seems to be played everywhere Remy goes. Remy has trust issues and her believe in love isn't there. Remy's mom has been married five times so Remy knows her fair share about how relationships don't work out.

Then Remy meets Dexter who she does everything in her power to keep away from, but this boy won't leave her alone. Dexter is different from Remy's past boyfriends. This one changes Remy.

Remy is different character for Sarah Dessen. She smoked, she drank, and she slept around. She was in no way a perfect character. I liked her for that. Remy was still responsible. As the summary says she doesn't mess around when it comes to relationships. Remy is not going to fall in love because it only leads to being hurt.

Remy's mom was also an important reason in this book that Remy is the way she is. Remy's mom has been married 5 times. That isn't easy for any child to handle. Remy has watched each relationship form and fall apart. Will this be the husband that stays?

Most of the novel is about Remy's relationship with Dexter and I really enjoyed the moments they spent together. The thoughts that ran through clean freak Remy's head. This novel had a really relaxed, real life feel. You feel like you could be friends with the people in this book. Remy's friends were Jess, Chloe, and Lissa. They brought the best out in Remy and helped put things into prospective for her. I like how four girls with so different personalities can still be friends.

This Lullaby is a book full of disappoint, but it also brings the question of is love a worthwhile choice? I really enjoyed This Lullaby. The friendships were great and I really liked Remy and Dexter as characters. The ending of this novel gave us peace with the characters and left it open to our imaginations as to where they would go next. This Lullaby was another winner by Sarah Dessen. The main message in This Lullaby is that your parent's past and your past does not have to determine your future. Sometimes you just need to take a risk and find out what happens. It might be something worthwhile.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you really enjoyed this one, it's my favorite Sarah Dessen book so I'm always excited to see people reading it! I loved that Remy wasn't the perfect character either, but was still responsible. :) Great review!

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I really enjoyed reading it and just started Just Listen this morning. My goal is to have it done by Friday.

      Delete

Hi my name is Rachael and I want to thank you for commenting on my blog. I appreciate every single comment I receive and I reply back to all comments.