Monday, May 6, 2013

Classics Retold- Brainstorming for Robin Hood

Classics Retold
I signed up for the Classics Retold project hosted by Alison @ The Cheap Reader, Alyssa @ Books Take You Places, Charlene @ Bookish Whimsy, Wendy @ Excellent Library, Brittany @ Book Addict's Guide. Alison @ The Cheap Reader came up with this idea after project Fairy Tale was such a huge hit. She tweaked the challenge a bit to include classic books and their adaptations. 

Credit
I signed up for the classic tale of Robin Hood. Robin Hood has been in the public domain for many years so it has many retellings and film adaptations. I'm going to try to cover as much as possible, but I realize I will barely be able to scratch the surface. I have to admit that I know little about the original tale of Robin Hood besides what I have learned from the Disney movie so I hope to learn a lot while doing this project. 

Books
The Outlaws of Sherwood by Robin McKinley  and Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen are going to be the two books on my must read list for this project. 
If I have time I would love to read the middle grade, Forestwife Saga which includes The Forest Wife, Child of May, and The Path of the She-Wolf by Theresa Tomlinson. It is based on the tale of Robin Hood.

There is a huge list of books on goodreads that I will start tackling if I get through the five above. As I mentioned before there is an endless supply of Robin Hood retellings since the tale has been in the public domain for so long. 

Movies
Disney's Robin Hood and Robin Hood Prince of Thieves are movies I would really like to watch for this project. Although I have watched the Disney movie many times I think I will have a different prospective after reading the original story. 

Robin Hood (2003) and Robin Hood (2010) are also on my list of movies to watch. 

There was a whole tv show made after the tale of Robin Hood on BBC. Unfortunetely I don't believe I will have time to watch all three seasons or even one season as I have a busy summer ahead of me. One of the five hosts, Alyssa @ Books Takes You Places, is also covering Robin Hood and I believe that she plans to watch the series. My problem is that we don't have Netflix or any other movie type thing so I would have to check out the disks from the library. I would only have a week to watch them and they would most likely skip around a lot. There are many individual episodes on various TV shows that covered Robin Hood and if I have time I will try to watch and review some individual episodes for the project. 

Overall I'm a bit overwhelmed, but excited for this project. I plan to have all the posts for this project typed up and scheduled by early August before I leave for university. It will be a nice way to take a month off blogging while I adjust to life at college. Of course as always even though you will be reading prewritten posts in September I will be replying back to comments. 

Thanks for reading 


Rachael 









4 comments:

  1. Excited that you are joining us! We will be reading and watching some of the same things so I am excited to hear what you think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited, but a bit overwhelmed with the project. The original novel is pretty good so far.

      Delete
  2. It'll be really interesting to see all the different takes on Robin Hood since there are three of you doing it! Can't wait to read your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very glad that there are three of us doing it because there are so many different takes on Robin Hood. There is no way we can cover them all. I have a free month of reading in June and I'm hoping to get at least one retelling done. I will see you September with all the wonderful posts about Robin Hood.

      Delete

Hi my name is Rachael and I want to thank you for commenting on my blog. I appreciate every single comment I receive and I reply back to all comments.