Friday, December 20, 2013

Book Review: Insurgent by Veronica Roth (Divergent Trilogy #2) (no spoilers)

Book: Insurgent
Author: Veronica Roth
Publication: May 1st, 2012
Source: Local Library
Rating: 5/5 Stars
Summary (from Goodreads):
One choice can transform you, or destroy you.

Every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves, and herself, while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.




My Thoughts:
I have to say that I enjoyed Divergent a lot more than I enjoyed Insurgent. In saying that Insurgent is still an amazing, beautifully written book. I enjoyed learning more about Tris' faction world.

In Divergent the characters were woven into the novel in a way that helped me keep track of the characters names. I found myself getting confused on which character Tris was talking to in Insurgent. Veronica Roth's writing is still absolutely beautiful although it was a little confusing in Insurgent. I also found Insurgent a little hard to get into Insurgent because the beginning was a little bit slow. I was looking for a book that was actioned packed. Eventually the book picked up and I became very engrossed in this wonderful story. Then I came to a point where the novel was so good that I didn't want to put the book down. There was an intense scene later in the novel that really got me into the novel.

Tris and Four's relationship continues to be interesting and intense in Insurgent. I continue to be interested in their relationship. Jeanie is a character, I can't say I liked her as a character, but I definitely loved the action she brought to the story. We also got to learn more about Marcus and Four's mom Evelyn. Tris' brother Caleb also was a significant character in this novel. I also loved how all of the factions were incorporated into Insurgent. I read Insurgent in a remarkably fast amount of time thanks to being on Thanksgiving break. I basically read my whole entire break and couldn't put the book down.

Although I still enjoyed Divergent more. I really did enjoy Insurgent. Towards the middle of the book I couldn't wait to find out the ending and what choice Tris would make that would ultimately break or save the faction society. The ending of the novel was quite a cliff hanger although not as big of a cliff hanger as I expected. Insurgent is one of those novels I think I would pick so much more up if I read the novel a second time. I hopefully will reread it in the future. I hope to get my hands on a copy of Allegiant soon.

2 comments:

  1. I've recently started reading dystopian novels and "Divergent" is next on my TBR-list. A friend told me that it's similar to The Hunger Games and she, too, thought that "Divergent" was better than "Insurgent." Can't wait to read them myself and see what they're like.

    Mada @ All Fantasy Worlds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read the first novel of The Hunger Games and I thought Divergent was way better. I hope you enjoy Divergent. It is a wonderful novel.

      Delete

Hi my name is Rachael and I want to thank you for commenting on my blog. I appreciate every single comment I receive and I reply back to all comments.