Friday, March 28, 2014

A Month of Rapunzel: Book Review: Cress by Marissa Meyer (Lunar Chronicles #3) (no spoilers)



Book: Cress
Author Marissa Meyer
Publication: February 2nd, 2014
Series: Lunar Chronicles #3
Source: Local Library
Read: February 15th-February 27th, 2014
Summary (From Goodreads):
Rapunzel’s tower is a satellite. She can’t let down her hair—or her guard.

 In this third book in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles series, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army.

 Their best hope lies with Cress, who has been trapped on a satellite since childhood with only her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker—unfortunately, she’s just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice.

 When a daring rescue goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing stop her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only ones who can.
.


My Thoughts:

*May be Spoilers to Previous Novels Check out my review of Cinder and Scarlet*

I don't even know where to start with Cress. This book was by far my favorite so far in the series. I slowed down and just enjoyed Cress instead of worrying about finishing it so I could start another book. I almost did not want to finish Cress because I know that I have to wait another year for the last book in the series Winter.

The world building in The Lunar Chronicles is fantastic as always. Marissa Meyer drug me right back in her Lunar world by introducing her newest character Cress. As many of my readers know and my friends in real life too I'm in love with the fairy tale of Rapunzel so I was so excited about Cress. She did not disappoint. Cress was strong and courageous yet naive and scared as Rapunzel's usually are. I instantly fell in love with her character. As far as towers go Cress was trapped in a satellite meaning there literally was no escape. I saw glimpses of Disney's Tangled in this novel and Marissa Meyer did not follow the original story in chronological order, but suited the story to the way that fit her novel. I loved that about Cress.

Cress meets up with Thorne, Wolf, Cinder, and Scarlet when they come to rescue her and the novel really only takes off from there. The action starts and doesn't stop until the very end.

Thorne was very gruff and aloof in Scarlet, but in Cress we see that Thorne is a really caring guy under his tough guy facade. The romance in this novel was enough to make me swoon, but the focus of the novel continued to be the Lunar War. Wolf was a character I was afraid to trust in the first novel, but Cress has convinced me that I can trust Wolf. He is on Cinder's side. We also saw a new side of Wolf with the losses he went through in this novel.

Another person I enjoyed seeing more of was Prince Kai. This was one of my major disappointments of Scarlet, but I was excited to see Kai back in the novel although it wasn't necessarily happy times for his majesty.

Cinder is as headstrong as ever. She is determined to end Levana's rein and learn how to control her Lunar powers. We saw Cinder's determination and courage more in this book than any of the others. I fell in love with her character all over again. After years of mistreatment by her stepmother Andri, Cinder is finally starting to believe in herself. I have no doubt that she will do what it takes to end this war.

Dr. Erland also makes many interesting discoveries during this novel. Although Dr. Erland has many sad moments in this story I was interested to find out many secrets about his life.

Finally my disappoint of this novel had to be Scarlet. Scarlet didn't really seem to have a place in Cress and was not a big character in this novel. I think Marissa Meyer has a hard time including all the characters in the novel. I hope Scarlet will be a more major plot character in the final installment Winter.

The ending of Cress was another big cliffhanger for the story, but I think it will lead well into the final book Winter. I think this book came full circle. The characters changed so much over the course of this novel and I loved every moment of Cress. Words will never describe how much I loved this novel. It is going to be a hard wait for the final book, but I'm sure Marissa Meyer will make it worth the wait.

If you have not read Cinder, Scarlet, or Cress I highly suggest you do.


Thanks



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi my name is Rachael and I want to thank you for commenting on my blog. I appreciate every single comment I receive and I reply back to all comments.