Wednesday, March 5, 2014

A Month of Rapunzel: Mini Review: Rapunzel by The Brothers Grimm (no spoilers)




Book: Rapunzel
Author: The Brother's Grimm
Publication: 1812
Source: Project Glutenberg



*I will spoil the story in My Project Disney Review of Tangled* You can read the story for free here*











I don't think a summary or a rating is necessary for the original fairy tale. This will be a short review as I don't want to give away any spoilers.

As per usual the story of Rapunzel by the Brothers Grimm is very short and does not go in depth into the emotions or details of the story. It is part of what makes fairy tale retellings so great since they have time to dig deep in the original themes of the story.

Although I love the story of Rapunzel there have always been elements of the original story that have bothered me. Such as the mother and father's selfishness and wanting of rapunzel. Another part that bothers me is the insta-love of course, but this is often a theme in Grimm Fairy Tales. The prince is instantly in love with Rapunzel. The ending is pretty much my number one pet peeve because there is no development.

Being a romantist at heart I always love a happily ever after and Rapunzel is a rare exception in Grimm Fairy Tales where that happens. Rapunzel takes all of ten minutes to read so if you are interested go read the story.

Continue to enjoy A Month of Rapunzel



2 comments:

  1. WOW! It must've been hard to do this review with no spoilers!! Bravo! The Grimm story is kind of crazy but that's why I love the Grimm stories so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spoiled the whole story in my Tangled review before I wrote this one.

      Delete

Hi my name is Rachael and I want to thank you for commenting on my blog. I appreciate every single comment I receive and I reply back to all comments.